Friday, July 10, 2015

5 Minute High Five 5 with author Gina J. Bentley


Hello Bookworms!!

          Today’s post is going to be lots of fun! It has been a while since I have had an author interview, but today I have one for you! A couple of weeks ago, I reviewed Flowers Darkly by author Gina J. Bentley. Today, Gina is going to give you some insight into her world and the world of  Flowers Darkly. Enjoy!

1. Let’s start with a fun question, how amazing does it feel to have released your first novel?

It feels wonderful! I began writing Flowers Darkly almost three years ago. At first, I didn't tell anyone I was writing a novel because I knew it'd be a long process. It ended up taking even longer than I'd anticipated. I eventually had to let go of a timeline, and be content with whenever I finished it. I wanted it done right! It's awesome now because readers tell me how characters, plot elements, or lines impacted them. I lived alone with these things for years, so to be able to finally share them in the book is truly an amazing privilege.

 

2. Where did you find the inspiration for Flowers Darkly?

 

I found inspiration for the novel in many places: British television, classic literature, dreams, music, and even sermons. Someone said "good artists borrow; great artists steal." I definitely stole some inspiration! As an example, I based aspects of Nicholas Graham on Robert Hardy's portrayal of Siegfried Farnon in the BBC series, All Creatures Great and Small. I studied Hardy's facial expressions as to get the subtleties right in my descriptions of Nicholas. Since the novel took three years to write, I had time to pool lots of ideas and incorporate them into the story.

 

3. Who was your favorite character to write?

 

My absolute favorite character to write was Nicholas Graham. He has a presence that transcends the page, causing me to think I may find him in line at the grocery store or sitting next to me on a flight. It's difficult for me to believe I created him: he always gently told me what he would say and do. Of all the characters, I've probably gotten the most feedback from readers on Nicholas. One reader described him as "perfect," and I couldn't agree more. I think as he impacts the characters in the story, he impacts us as well.

 

4. Given the opportunity, would you move to a new country like Miri? If so, where?

 

It's funny you should ask this question because I allowed Miri to experience my own dream of moving to England. I've been in love my entire adult life with England and British culture, primarily through its television and literature. Like Miri, I worked for a division of a British company, where I met Brits whose friendliness, character, and manner only increased my admiration for their culture. I got to travel with Miri to England in Flowers Darkly, and I hope my readers do as well.

 

5. Are there plans for more novels from Author Gina J. Bentley in the future?

Yes! Another novel is brewing in my heart and begging to be written. This one will likely stay state-side, but I expect it to have just as much romance, humor, and biblical truth as Flowers Darkly.

I would like to thank Gina J. Bentley for giving See Lizzie Read this interview!!

For more information about Gina J. Bentley’s works, both present and future, visit her website!

To purchase your copy of Flowers Darkly click here!!

Until next time,

          Lizzie <3

No comments: