Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A Blast From the Past! Thornfield Hall by Emma Tenant

Hello Readers,
     I am sorry to say that I have recently found a book that I dislike. This book is Thornfield Hall by Emma Tenant.

The Summary,
                Truthfully, I am not even sure how to write a good summary on this book. The summary on the back cover of the book itself is misleading. It tells the prospective reader that you will follow the journey of little Adele of the famous Charlotte Bronte novel "Jane Eyre" when, in reality, you will follow the points of view of not 1 but 4 characters: Adele Varens, Edward Rochester, Madame Fairfax, and Grace Poole.

The Review:
      To be honest readers, I feel like Mrs. Tenant tried too hard. She seemed to be trying to insinuate things that are not really there. Also, some of the details she gave did not seem to line up with the original story line (Which I had recently refreshed my mind on as "Jane Eyre" was the book I finished reading on the same day I started "Thornfield Hall"). It was as if Mrs. Tenant wanted to add lots of extra story where Mrs. Bronte had left no room for extra. Also, some of Mrs. Tenant's details were written so vaguely that they were hard to follow and to even tell if there was a point to what you were reading at the time.
     If you look at the front of the cover, you will notice that written in small letters under that title is a line that tells readers that the book was previously published as "Adele". I am afraid this book had to be republished in an effort to bring interest back. All in all, I feel the book was poorly written. I give it 1 bookmark because there were some interesting parts of the book. I do, however, encourage you to read the book for yourself if you find a nagging interest in it because you may find that you like it in spite of this bad review. :)

 Until next time,
                Lizzie Gaskins

No comments: