I have a special treat for you today!! An Interview!
I have made several posts about ways to help save Undershaw (home of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the author of the Sherlock Holmes adventures). In those posts, I mentioned purchasing a book titled An Entirely New Country (which features a foward written my Mark Gatiss). Recently, I was able to obtain a short interview with the author of An Entirely New Country, Mr. Alistair Duncan!!
1. What inspires your books, particularly An Entirely New Country?
a. A desire to add to our collective knowledge. With AENC and the book before that it was a desire to add to parts of Arthur Conan Doyle’s life that I felt were under documented.
2. What do you want people to understand about Sir Arthur Conan Doyle after reading An Entirely New Country?
a. The fact that Arthur Conan Doyle achieved a lot during that 10 year period and that there was a lot more to him that Sherlock Holmes.
3. What made you start promoting the Undershaw Preservation trust and encouraged you to decide to split your profits from An Entirely New Country with them?
a. A desire to do whatever I could to help the cause to save this amazing house from being irreversibly damaged.
4. What is it about Sir Arthur Conan Doyle that has captured your attention?
a. I stand amazed at the sheer amount he managed to pack into his life and the adversity he overcame in his early years.
5. When did you become a Sherlock Holmes enthusiast?
a. 1982 after seeing Basil Rathbone in The Scarlet Claw.
6. Would you consider yourself a Sherlockian or just a fan?
a. The former.
7. What is your favorite Sherlock Holmes adventure?
a. The Sign of Four as it contains everything you could want. A crime to solve, exotic villians, a damsel in distress and a treasure in a far off land.
8. Do you have plans for another book on Holmes or Doyle? Or does the journey end here with An Entirely New Country?
a. At the moment I have no idea. I’d like to write more but I don’t know what about just yet.
There you have it bookworms! Alistair Duncan’s thoughts on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Undershaw, and Sherlock Holmes! 50% of the proceeds of the purchase of An Entirely New Country will go to the Undershaw Preservation Trust. Alistair Duncan and See Lizzie Read support the Undershaw Preservation Trust and their mission to save Undershaw wholeheartedly and we hope you will too!
If you would like to purchase An Entirely New Country:
Barnes and Noble:
Any bookstore that has An Entirely New Country on its shelves! J
Want to know more about Alistair Duncan, his views, and the books he’s written?
Check out his blog!:
and follow him on Twitter!:
I’d like to take a moment to thank Mr. Alistair Duncan for taking time out of his busy schedule to answer these interview questions for the readers of See Lizzie Read! Thank you so much Mr. Duncan!
Until Next Time!,