Friday, June 5, 2015

The Boy Who was Raised as a Dog - Dr. Bruce M. Perry & Maia Szalavitz

Hello Bookworms!!,
           I am back with a new review! Today's book came to me in an unusual way. Most people wouldn't find reading a book for a University class and enjoying it such a big surprise. It happens all the time. But to read a non-fiction book for a Social Work class and enjoy it enough to include it on your blog? Yea, you're going to want to read about this book!! So here we go!!


Summary
        Dr. Bruce Perry is a leader in the Psychiatric field. Practicing since the 1980's, Dr. Perry has seen some of the most dramatic changes to the fields of Psychiatry and Mental Health. In his book "The Boy Who Was Raised as a Dog" (co-authored by Maia Szalavitz), Dr. Perry shares some the cases that taught him the most about human needs, the mind, and treatment. And if you think its just another boring text book...its not.


Review
         Readers, I have to admit, when I first heard that on top of taking 4 classes during the summer semester, I had to read a full length novel, at first I wasn't enthusiastic (even as much as I like to read). But when I ordered the book and realized it had actually been written in novel form, I became a little more open to the idea since reading novels is kinda my thing ;) . Once I started reading, I realized that this was probably going to be one of the most interesting books I have ever read in my Academic career so far.
          Dr. Perry is funny, insightful, and even heart-warming. Dr. Perry gives examples of actual cases he worked, some of them small cases no one has ever heard of before, some of them were national news like the children of the Davidian Cult in Waco, Texas. In each one, Dr. Perry fearlessly admits when he was wrong, over-confident, & was about to learn a lesson. In each case, Dr. Perry brings out what each case taught him about psychiatry and the needs of human beings. The reader is slowly educated on points that one can only learn in the field.
          I found myself entertained while I was learning. I was also amazed at the shear brilliance of Dr. Perry. If there was ever a person called to do a job, Dr. Perry has been called to his. I don't want to give anything away, but in the cases of one teenage girl (nicknamed Blue Raven) and one 6 year old boy who appeared to have RAD, the way that Dr. Perry realizes what is really going on is almost like reading Sherlock Holmes solve a mystery. It really shows what caliber of professional that is Dr. Perry.
          I highly recommend this book to students of Psychology, Psychiatry, Social Work, Mental Health, and anyone already working in the fields. It will be an education for beginners as well as seasoned professionals. "The Boy Who Was Raised as a Dog" is an amazing book. A Triumph!


Buy The Boy Who Was Raised as a Dog


Until next time,
               Lizzie <3

No comments: