Saturday, March 17, 2012

Spring Pick 2012! The Help by Kathryn Stockett!

Hello Bookworms!
            I am ready with the next Spring Pick 2012!! The Help by Kathryn Stockett.


Summary:
         Aibilene and Minny are part of a group only known by one name: The Help. They are black housemaids who take care of EVERYTHING. The cooking, cleaning, and taking care of the kids. They are not always treated fairly or even nicely by their employers, but they won't say anything because they need the work. Especially in their small town. If you're fired because your boss is displeased, everyone will know and it will be hard to get another job. When you're bound to a job like that you are going to be privvy to plenty of injustice. What if someone gave you the chance to speak out? Would  you take it? Or would you stay silent? When a young, white, female aspiring journalist comes along with the idea to publish a book on what the help goes through and how they feel about it, Aibilene, Minny, and all their friends must decide what their answers are to these questions. And their answers will forever change society in their town.

Review
       I loved this book! I made sure to read it before I saw the movie version. I couldn't put it down. The characters are so colorful and the events move so quickly that you once you start, you won't want to stop.
       I must say, the movie was just as wonderful as the book in my opinion! Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer were exactly what I pictured in my mind for Aibilene and Minny. Their performances were wonderful! I give the book 5 bookmarks! I would definitely suggest that you read The Help by Kathryn Stockett and then go and see the motion picture! You'll love them both for sure! :)


No comments: